Saturday, April 18, 2009

This I Believe

Okay. So, for some reason I have a major love for NPR (note the name of my blog). I listen to it most of the time in my car. Maybe I just like the sound of voices over commercials, Brittany Spears, and Akon. In any case, I started listening to NPR about 3 years ago and still have not quit the kick. One of my all time fav spots is "This I Believe" (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4538138).

So, anyways... About 2 1/2 years ago, I wrote my own "This I Believe" essay. It was just a bit after my dad died and I think I wrote about healing. In any case, it was probably over-emotional and filled with absurd amounts of passion - but let's be honest, would you expect anything different from me?

When I was not paying attention in class on Friday, my friend Steve and I were g-chatting. We got off on "This I Believe" somehow and I told him about the essay I had written years earlier. I then was trying to search my computer and email for the old essay I wrote - but to no avail. However, I did find a past "This I Believe" essay that had stirred strong emotions...

Exhibit: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10536016

Please read this article and feel free to comment or send me your thoughts.

Now, let me tell you my thoughts - I feel absolutely passionate against the principles contained in this article. I do not believe in settling - not in my marriage choice or in any other major part of life. I never will. This article absolutely depresses me. Sure, settling is easy and most definately comfortable - but why settle for a easy and comfortable life where they is so much to experience and live for?

Let me first say - I am not expecting a fairytale life filled with my very own steamy prince charming who worships the ground I walk on, perfect and beautiful and smart children, and noble and prestigious achievements. But if any of those cards are in my hand, I will gladly put them in my back pocket.

The authors states, "Settling, in my sense, is about acceptance." To that I argue that if this type of thinking was accepted by all, the world would never have had improvement. Was anything great ever accomplished merely because people were willing to accept their current circumstances? I argue no. I argue that any great accomplishment ever made was made by someone willing to not settle - it took someone willing to fight against settling, someone willing to find a better way. Greatness does not come from settling. And that is what I want - greatness.

So for now, I am not willing to settle. I hope I never change that drive. Sure I settle daily in the small things - I settle with decisions such as what I will wear or what I will eat for breakfast. But with the real substance of life - who I choose to be, what I choose to do with my life, what I focus my efforts and thoughts on, and who I chose to spend my time with - there will be no settling here.

2 comments:

Sammy said...

I have a theory about this, about looking for those exceptions in life. I do fine this article to be alarming on many levels, starting off with some truths and then filled with sad selfish guidance that trades what you want in the long run for what you want right now. I know I won't have to worry about this, but if you do settle, I'll cut you.

Kimba said...

So I've been thinking about this for a few days now, not wanting to knee-jerk my response. While I completely disagree with her example (settling with marriage? YIKES) I wonder if maybe the definition of "settling" is different for everyone. Because there's settling, and then there's being content with what you have, and maybe sometimes the lines blur a bit. I've been trying to come up with some kind of answer or explanation as to when you know if you're settling, or when you should just be content and grateful, and I think it all has to do with your attitude and how honest you are being with yourself.

If we're looking at the marriage example, I personally would never want to be in a relationship where the other person never told me they loved me, and if I didn't feel like they were my best friend. But just like everything else in life, it can be hard and I wonder if there are so many divorces in this country because people run when things get hard. Telling themselves that they've "settled" and looking for happiness elsewhere.

So I guess what I'm saying is I agree with you. :) And that there is a lot to be said about being grateful for what you have.

And also, congrats on the nicu! I think that would be a really amazing dept. to work in. Amazing, and hard. Kiss some tiny baby toes for me.