Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day

I will post more about my trip to Spain this week, but I wanted to do a Memorial Day post.

This year, Memorial Day has taken on a different meaning for me. In my nursing school clinicals this summer, I have been able to spend time at the VA. I have been able to learn more of what these veterans have really sacrificed. They have given far more than a couple years service fighting for our country. I have heard their tragic stories. I have seen the effects of war on their life. While many men have given their lives, many others are forced to live each day with haunting memories. I have been brought to tears many times this week as I sat and talked with these honorable men. I cannot express my gratitude for them.

This evening, my mom and I went to put flowers on my dads grave. We drove by the section of the cemetery with the white crosses for those that have served our country in the military. I was prouder than ever to see my dad's name among them.

So, this Memorial Day, I salute those that have served or are serving our country. I pray for you.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Amen, sister!

L Chang said...

Awesome post. Thanks!