James and I were racing to get up to Montserrat in time for the boys choir - which sing in the monastery at 1pm on Sundays. However, we missed it barely. But, we didn't miss the excellent festival that was going on. There was a live band and some sort of traditional dance performance. There were oldies, adults, youth, and little kiddies all dressed and performing to traditional Spanish music in traditional clothing. It was very cultural and very excellent.
In the monastery is the Black Madonna, which James and I waited like an hour to see in person. According to tradition, the Black Virgin of Montserrat was carved by St. Luke around 50 AD. It was then hidden in a cave until it was rediscovered in 880 AD. Legend has it that shepherds saw a bright light and heard heavenly music which led them to the statue. Pretty cool.
Here is the a shot of the rock formations from a different angle. They look like they are almost serrated. Legend has it that they were carved by angels with golden saws.
So, that is Montserrat. A Spain must-see. Gorgeous. It made me want to be a monk-ette.
Look forward to the next post - it will include Pamplona, San Sebastian, and Basque Country!!!!!!




2 comments:
Absolutely. Gorgeous. I must go there. And YOU must read "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemingway!
Amazing! I think that is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! My in-laws were asking where I thought they should travel this fall, and based on your awesome posts, I told them Spain! It seems incredible!
Post a Comment