School is my life right now. I am doing my Capstone in a NICU and am 100% IN LOVE with it. I look forward to going to each shift - I love it. I only have 5 more shifts left before I am done with school, but am hoping to work there after I graduate. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!
Last night at Capstone, my preceptor and I started out with two little babes. One of these little guys is our primary (meaning when we are there, we usually get him). He is itty bitty - only like 4 pounds. I am 100% in love with this little guy. He is stable and really is just there to eat and grow at this point. Last night I bathed him - and let me say, NEVER has any baby ever been so cute in the water. He sat there and smiled and would splash around his little arms. He cried the second we took him ut of the water and started to dry him off - he would have stayed in that bath the whole night. I am seriously wrapped around his finger. Our other little guy was still on a lot of oxygen and keep having apnea and bradycardic spells (basically, his heart slows way down and he stops breathing). We were in the room quite a bit helping him. Also a very adorable and precious little guy.
But then...
(Note: So - my preceptor is amazing and has been a NICU nurse for like 23 years and - basically - is like the expert at everything). So, we had a very, very premature baby delivered in L&D and my preceptor was called to go help with the resuscitation. So - midway through the night we got this new assignment and gave our little guys to a different nurse. Let me just say - this story was one for the books. It was amazing to see everyone work so quickly in order to stabilize this little baby. This little baby was just over a pound and was so small I could hardly believe it had organs - let alone organs that function. This baby was a miracle. I learned so much, but mostly was just amazed at how much there is for me to learn - and I can't wait.
So basically, I am in love with the NICU. It is the best place in the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Good for you, Lauren. This is an awesome, amazing thing you are doing. I hope those little babies will be okay!
Ah! I'm so glad, and only just slightly jealous. :) You're going to be an amazing nurse. NICU would is where I would have wanted to go, as well.
Although I have never been pregnant with a premmie, 3 of my friends gave birth early/had complications which required NICU time for their babies in Okinawa (Lester Naval Hospital)... I was always impressed with the gentleness of those nurses. Unfortunately, one of those babies never recovered, but even while everyone was grieving, the hospital staff remained professional and supportive. Sooo happy for your finding your niche!
Laur, I'm so glad you're loving the NICU! Isn't wonderful to be a nurse? I hope so much that you are able to get a job there when you're done! I'm sure it will feel wonderful being done with school (I sometimes wonder what I'm thinking going back, but then I remember what a nerd I am!). Love ya!
Post a Comment