Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Years Resolutions

This year I have decided I am not making New Years Resolutions (NYRs). I likely wouldn't keep them, so I am not going to make them. That being said, there are most definitely things I am trying to change or improve in my life. But, rather than making a long list of things I am resolving to change or do better, I am just going to do it slowly and surely.

Why the change? Let me explain...

For about the last 10 years there has been one NYR that has stayed constant on my list. One that I put on every year and then failed at by about week 2 of January. What is this NYR you may ask? Well, it was to stop biting my nails. Gross, I know. I sick habit, but one that I regrettably did for years of my life. Once again, this was on my list last year, and I failed sometime in January. But then, about 2 months ago I realized I had magically stopped. My nails were long and healthy and I could not remember the last time I had bit one of my nails. Miracle? Maybe.

This seemingly small habit seemed impossible to break. But, I did it - without even trying. Sometimes I think I complicate things - I focus so hard to change something that it becomes insurmountable. But really, it is probably an easy and small fix. So, rather than digging deep to make a list of all my faults or inadequacies and trying hard to change all of them at once, I will take them head on one at a time.

Thats being said, I do want to make a list of New Years goals - things to focus on accomplishing, rather than resolving to change. Here are some highlights....

Work on my oil painting this year - paint at least 10 canvases
Leave the US for a trip - maybe London? or Iceland? or France?
Continue playing my flute - and maybe play in church one time (not quite sold on this part yet)
Run 2 half marathons
Continue to work on my communication skills (weird one I know, and totally abstract - still, I need to)
Focus less on myself

If you have any fabulous suggestions for additional goals for me, please feel free to share via the comment section......

5 comments:

Abby said...

So what are these things called then, these non-resolution resolutions?

LA GUERA SALSERA said...

Amen! I told Chris there was no way I would make a list of resolutions that I couldn't check off until a whole year later. Checking that little box is what keeps me going! Instead we just decided to make some goals for January. Hey I'm just finishing up my application to the nursing program! I hope I get in.

Jocelyn Pehrson said...

Your so funny! I decided no resolutions either. I did make myself a "Bucket List" or rather "things I want to do in this lifetime before I die". NOt that I am dying any time soon, but stuff like, skydiving and learn another language, learn to knit etc. I will do them when the time is right. No restrictions.

D said...

Hang out with me more:)

Emily said...

You're always doing such interesting things!

I remember we one time had this conversation about tris, and you said anyone could do one, and I was like, uhhh, probably not. And you were like NO. REALLY.

And I still haven't done one, actually, but I did discover that I like running. I never would have guessed. In preparation for a sprint tri, I started doing 5Ks, which was at first SO AMAZING to me because I never thought I would do that sort of thing, but I loved it. I think I kind of told you about part of that one time when I saw you at the conference center for something. But! In 2009 I did two half marathons.

So. I was just reading your post and thinking about how ever since you posted the picture of your cedar chest I've wanted to make one, so that's one of those sort-of New Year goals for me. And then I was thinking about how it was you who got me started running. And I am SO happy about that, and it's been SUCH a good thing for me, you know?

All of this just to say that you inspire me! I'm really glad I met you in that ward, and thanks SO much for encouraging me to do a sprint tri. I really never talk to you, but I feel like knowing you for just a little while in that ward totally blessed my life, and I love reading your blog.

Annnnd, sorry for writing a little essay here in your comments.