Monday, April 7, 2008

Two Posts in One Day????

I know, crazy! But, I just have a lot to say today. But, I will keep this one short, because the other one is much better.

However, anyone who knows me pretty well knows that I have a problem with books. I love them - but at the same time I get bored of them quite quickly. I have a chronic problem of starting a book and putting it down about 34 pages later to forget about for months. At that time, I start over and the exact same thing occurs. Every once and a while, an amazing writer is able to keep my attention and I fall in love with the book (Thank you J.K. Rowling!).

Recently, Sam and I were at the library and picked up some books. Mostly he got some books he was amped about and I just did my book cycle of interest (this time only 2 or 3 pages) and boredom within the very halls of the library. As we were leaving I felt like I "should" get a book - so we walked by the science section and I grabbed one called "The Hot Zone." It sat by my bed unopened for 3 weeks. Then, one night, I was wide awake and grabbed it to put me to sleep. However, upon finishing the first couple pages, I was hooked. This book is FABULOUS! I finished it Saturday and have basically retold the whole story to Sam throughout the time of reading it due to my crazy enthusiasm. It talks about three viruses - Marburg, Ebola Zaire, and Ebola Reston. Seriously, this book is crazy intense as it details these viruses breakouts.

So, please add this book to your list. You will not be disappointed. Commit this cover to memory.

4 comments:

Tara said...

I love that book! I recommend it to everybody, including my 10th grade Biology students!

Meg said...

Laur - I have just shared your blog with Mitz and new friend Rustino Scar. I miss my little churcho. The Samson and Delilah post was too much for me to handle. Love someone tonight (think radio delilah). Anyway - you are a gem. A much loved gem. AND - I will have you know that I own this book. I also believe that you borrowed it once. Just saying...

LA GUERA SALSERA said...

Fellow beloved blogger. Okay, I had a lot of reading to review all your posts...so admittedly I skimmed, but regardless TOTALLY enjoyed!! Some of my favorite parts were

a)Whoop, whoop to x-mas time!

b)no bum (does anyone actually have this problem?) In answer to that question YES...I do. and I legitimately expect people to feel sorry for me...it's a large challenge in my life. Maybe no bum is not the right word, rather flat bum.

c)Unrequited Love...the avoidance tactics are CLASSIC!! And doing the crush thing until they actually show interest and then deciding...um crap...never mind I don't think I like you afterall. But precious moments for you!

d)facebook gifts are dumb, but make you feel special that someone decided to give you their one and only free facebook gift that comes with opening the account.

okay, I'll stop there. Sorry, I have a bad habit of basically writing a personal post in people's comment sections :)

Mike said...

That books looks REALLY good. I can't wait to read it. I want to love it so much.